RE: [squid-users] Problems with webmail

From: Clive Cleland <clivec@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:54:03 +1100

If you're not using WCCP, stop reading now. WCCP is my only experience of
the problem you describe.

If you're using WCCP to divert packets to your cache, notice that they are
sent from the router via GRE encapsulation.

Certain webmail sites use very large cookies, such that HTTP requests exceed
the size of a single packet. Adding 24 bytes GRE header on top of that
should cause the packet to fragment, but it appears certain versions of IOS
may not handle this properly. The practical upshot (in my case) is that
only the last packet of the request is received by my squid server - which
makes the whole request invalid to squid.

You might consider logging a support call with Cisco since this is nothing
to do with squid per se. The problem seems to lie in the way IOS handles
fragmentation due to GRE encapsulation from WCCP.

Cheers,
Clive