[squid-users] Discrepancies between Squid and its docs

From: Eric Geater 10/23/03 <egeater@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:37:06 -0600

I would like to report something, but I honestly don't know just how to
do it.

I'm a newb. There, it's on the table. I'm running Squid 2.5, I have
working ACL's and http_access lines, and I did this by viewing the ACL
docs on squid-cache.org. The squid docs on my own machine (Mandrake
9.1, docs are in /usr/share/doc/squid-2.5.stable1) refer to 2.5, but I
have wholly been using the ACL instructions found at
http://squid-docs.sourceforge.net/latest/html/x1455.html (and found
under the "Using the NCSA authentication module" section). I did this
because I was STRONGLY SUGGESTED by every single newsgroup/mail
archive/user forum that previously answered that question.

But the docs at the above listed website do not account for "auth_param"
taglines, and in fact still validate the use of "authenticate_program"
and "authenticate_children" as suggested by the squid.conf file that I'm
presently running. Now if I am running Squid 2.5, and an old squid.conf
file (that apparently works fine, unless I apply the
"authenticate_program" tag line), and there's no docs to explain usage
of the "auth_param" version, to whom do I turn to get this issue solved?

Much appreciation to anyone who can get me out of this rut. If it's ANY
consolation, I really am starting to like Linux, even if it still
baffles me.

Thanks a million,

Eric Geater
egeater at mscoinc dot com