Re: [squid-users] Round robin upstream parents....

From: Schelstraete Bart <bart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 13:56:06 +0100

HEllo Donovan,

>1. Have my local squid server use a collection of upstream servers by
>default as the next host when serving a HTTP or FTP request

You need to use the cache-peer option in the squid configuration file:

For example:

        cache_peer proxy.parent.com parent 3128 3130 round-robin
        cache_peer proxy.parent2.com parent 3128 3130 round-robin

If one goes down, it will be marked as 'invalid' and will not be used
untill it's available again.
But pls note that round robin proxies can give problems with 'shopping
sites' or similar. -something I discovered a few weeks ago.
because most sites are 'storing' the IP, and because the ip can change,
some big problems can occurs. (you can solve this for particular
websites by using cache_peer_access option but then you won't have
'round robin' for those websites)

For more info regarding this:
http://squid.visolve.com/squid24s1/neighbour.htm

>2. Obscure the external address of my proxy to the outside world

The ip address of your local proxy or the parent proxy? The IP visible
to the outside world is the 'highest" proxy. So the one that is
connect to the internet.

rgrds,

          Bart

 You can find me on Google or Yahoo...
 search for "Schelstraete Bart" or "Bart Schelstraete"
 Schelstraete Bart
 http://www.hansbeke.com
 email: bart at schelstraete.org