Re: [squid-users] wbinfo_group.pl, multiple questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:56:41 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Lombardo Federico wrote:

> I've three questions:
>
> 1) to have a wbinfo_group.pl working I must use the script posted here:
> http://itmanagers.net/postt10.html and not the squid bringed one.

For wbinfo_group.pl to work you need to use Squid-2.5, not Squid-2.4. But
from the rest of your discussion it seems you are using Squid-2.5..

The wbinfo_group.pl script works fine assuming your Perl installation is
reasonably up to date and includes the shellwords.pl library module
required by the helper. If your Perl installation does not include
shellwords.pl then grab this file from a reasonably up to date Perl
distribution and add it to your perl installation, or upgrade your Perl.

> 2) I've noticed that I must use ntlm_auth helper to make possible
> wbinfo_group to authenticate. It's strange... wbinfo_group is a basic auth,
> ntlm_auth is NTLM one.

wbinfo_group is GROUP membership lookups for authorization, not
authentication. The two functions are separate from each other as they
stand for different concepts.

authorization is about who is allowed to do what.

authentication is about who is who.

ntlm_auth in Samba-3 is a generic authentication helper for winbind and
supports both basic and NTLM authentication schemes. The fact that it is
named ntlm_auth is mostly historical and does not accurately reflect it's
function.