[squid-users] squid slow / non-responsive

From: Brad Groshok <bg-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 02:00:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi all:

having a problem with squid for last 12 hours or so.

Running Squid 2.5 Stable 3
Redhat 9, std install, on Intel Xeon 2.4GHz with 1 gig ram
1 36Gig Ultra 320 SCSI drive, (only caching 8 gig of content)
Transparent with Cisco wccpV1

Actually 2 squid boxes exactly the same.

They have been running fine for months.
(sept for the port scanning worms that keep messing with us)

Anyway, all of a suddon today, I've had customers complain they can't surf
to web sites we host (on some sun Ultra boxes on our IP space)
Squid isn't suppose to be caching anything from our cidr.
don't think this is specifically related to the issue.
I've discovered a couple pages from another ISP that does not work either.

What seems to be happening, is customer tried to surf to a page
couple items get returned from the page (and show in squid access.log)
but then it appears to freeze there.
If you don't touch anything, 30-60 sec later, the rest of the page
completes. (or most of it anyway)
ie a page with simple html, 20-30 jpg images, and a background image
some of the images don;t come up, sometimes the background does not come
up.

I've tried not going transparent, and directly configuring a brouser to
use one of the squid boxes. same result.

Of course turning off both squid boxes, and everything just screames
along.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

BG