Re: [squid-users] reiserfs or ext3

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:28:07 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Raja R wrote:

> I need your advice on filesystem type which shud be used for the cache dirs.
> Ext3 or ReiserFS ? Which one is better ?

reiserfs is generally considered slightly faster for Squid use.

> How will the squid.conf parameter change for the cache_dir option for both
> the file systems. I dont think we can specify ext3 or reiserfs there.

To squid both looks the same. What you specify in the cache_dir option is
the I/O method Squid is to use to access the filesystem, not the
filesystem type.

If you are in need for speed (which I assume you are as you ask about what
filesystem type to use) then you must use one of the async I/O methods:
aufs or diskd.

aufs does not require any additional tuning.

diskd requires your OS to be tuned with sufficient shared memory and
message queues according to the guidelines in the Squid FAQ. If there is a
shortage of either diskd will fail badly when under load.