RE: [squid-users] Logging only

From: Tom Lahti <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:59:34 -0800

At 10:34 AM 11/6/2003, Adam Aube wrote:

> >> See the FAQ
>
> > Actually, the answer is no, you can't have squid log without
> > at least proxying (forwarding) your web traffic.
>
>Correct. I just guessed that the OP simply mis-phrased the question.
>
>After all, if they don't plan to have Squid process their traffic, why
>would they even bother installing it?

To log outbound web traffic -- what web sites/pages their users are
visiting. You might be able to do something with "iptables -p tcp --dport
80 -j LOG" and then write a perl script to do DNS lookups, but that doesn't
give you the URL.

You could use "tcpdump -x port 80" on an edge router and store the output,
then scan it for HTTP headers with a perl script. But that would consume
huge amounts of I/O time and disk space.

Probably a layer 7 switch/router can do this. Someone could write a
program that uses promiscuous mode to do it also.

    Tom Lahti
    Tx3 Online Services

    (888)4-TX3-SVC (489-3782)
    http://www.tx3.net/