Re: [squid-users] Need to change my squid access log dir

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:59:26 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Taiwo Akinosho wrote:

> i did try that but squid starts and stops shortly after.
> i suspect a permission problem but i don't know
> where to start.

See cache.log.

> can someone help me with a step by step
> process on creating the new location and enable squid
> to write to it.

1. Create the new directory.

2. Make sure your cache_effective_user have write permission to this new
directory.

3. Change Squid log file paths to use the new directory and restart Squid.

If problems, look for cache.log.

If suspecting problems writing to cache.log, start Squid manually
including the -N command line flag. This will prevent Squid from going
into the background and allows catstrophic errors to be printed in the
terminal window from where you started Squid. You should also be able to
find these errors in your systems messages syslog file.