[squid-users] Samba 3 ntlm_auth does not work with Win9x (Solution)

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:38:39 -0500

After upgrading to Samba 3 over the weekend, we discovered that our Windows 98 clients could not use NTLM auth. This problem came up once before on the list, and the response was that this is a Samba problem and the Samba list should be consulted.

After some research, I discovered a solution to the problem. Though this is a Samba problem, many Squid users will likely run into this, so I'm posting the solution here.

This is a known bug in ntlm_auth (Samba bug #571), and the Samba team is working on fixing this. In the meanwhile, the MS Directory Services Client can be installed as a workaround. Instructions for installing the Directory Services Client can be found in Microsoft KB article #239869.

Adam