[squid-users] Failover Configuration

From: Carolyn Longfoot <c_longfoot@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:48:03 -0500

All,

I have a setup where I have Squid installed locally on a laptop which,
depending on where it is, home or office, forwards it's queries to the
'real' home or office proxy, both called 'http-proxy'.

Now from time to time I work from home via a VPN, which is when Squid does
not find it's parent cache anymore. In VPN mode 'http-proxy' does not work
anymore and when I enter the fully qualified name dirrectly into the
browsers proxy configuration (http-proxy.mycompany.com) it's ok.

Of course I don't want to keep changing proxy entries, so I configured
squid.conf as follows, hoping that the right parent would be chosen when the
default is not available due to VPN:

cache_peer http-proxy parent 8000 8001 default
cache_peer http-proxy.mycompany.com parent 8000 8001

Maybe (probably) I just don't understand the selection algorithm but any
help is welcome.

Cheers,
Caro

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more.
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize