[squid-users] squid as incoming proxy?

From: Robin Bowes <robin-lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:58:22 -0000

Hi,

It's been a long time since I've used squid (over 4 years!), so be gentle with me!

I run a web server on my broadband connection at home. I run NAT on my gateway router and have a small internal network.
I currently have all my web services hosted on a single box because of the 1-2-1 nature of NAT.
I maintain my own internal DNS service which is different to the publicly visible DNS information (hosted at dyndns.org).

Here's what I would like to do:

Internet --- router --- proxy --+-- web1.robinbowes.com
                       (squid) |
                                +-- web2.robinbowes.com

Externally, web1.robinbowes.com and web2.robinbowes.com will resolve to my single external IP address.
Internally, web1.robinbowes.com and web2.robinbowes.com will resolve to different internal IP addresses.
The router will map these incoming requests to the proxy server which look up the IP of the URL host internally and pass the request
on to the relevant machine.

Can squid do this?

Is there any special sort of set up I need to consider?

I also am considering implementing some sort of outgoing access control - pah, kids! Would I be able to use the same instance of
squid for this or would I be better considering a separate instance?

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,

R.