[squid-users] Memory issue

From: Awie <awie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:41:18 +0800

All,

My machine (Pentium III with 256 MB RAM and 20 GB of HDD) run Squid 2.5S4 +
RH 9 (kernel 2.4.22).

System run very good until I added a text file (url_regex) blocking sites.
The file contain around 70.000 lines of blocked urls. The performance
instantly drop after I run the Squid.

I found that system very aggressively using swap in HDD. Squid used memory
up to 388 MB that much more than physical RAM I have. I suspect that there
is no room of physical RAM for kernel and driver that cause performance
drop.

My other machine run Squid 2.4S7 with RH 6.2 run very well even I put the
same file to block sites. I set vm.freepages to reserve physical RAM for
kernel and driver. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in kernel 2.4.x.

Would you tell me how I can reserve RAM for kernel and driver? Is it another
way (instead vm.freepages) to do it?

Your answer is very appreciated and waited for.

Thx & Rgds,

Awie