Re: [squid-users] Squid with Antivirus

From: Jerry Murdock <jmurdock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:44:58 -0500

If the desktops are locked down 100% and are updated regularly then it's
not really necessary IMO, but I generally do it anyway. It's an extra
layer that can help stop things before they get in the network.

Webmail is the biggest real offender. Other routine browsing is rare to
get a hit.

There is good info in the archives on using Trend's VirusWall. Trend is
my preferred AV product anyway, so VirusWall is little to no additional
cost for my sites that are already using their suite products.

I found the whole viralator approach way too intrusive and limiting to be
useful. The only thing I'd consider using in the open-source area is an
add-in for DansGuardian - follow the 'extras' link at
www.dansguardian.org.

Jerry