Re: [squid-users] --> Multiple squid process....

From: Chris Wilcox <not_rich_yet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:28:30 +0000

>Hello,
> I have an strange problem here.
> I Have :
> SQUID1 -> Dansguardian -> SQUID2
>
> On the same machine, SQUID1 and SQUID2 are 2 different process, with
>different squid.conf files.
>
> I start them perfectly, butwhen i access my proxy the first time, SQUID2
>multiplies +- 20 times.
> When I type a "ps ax |grep squid", I have 19 process there !!!!
>
> This never happened with me, and since I am using a squid.conf file
>modified from SQUID1, that does not multily...
> With it, I cannot kill the first process, that the rest still run.
> May be somthing with dansguardian ????????

Only way I can think of to check whether this is an 'issue' with DG or
Squid2 is to maybe setup a client PC to access your Debian box through
Squid2 and not through Squid1>DG>Squid2. With a client directly connecting
to the net via Squid2 do you still get the same number of processes?

I'm also wondering whether this is not necessarily wrong? Doesn't squid
spawn child processes? In which case you'd expect to see multiple instances
running. I do have this setup running on a test PC at home which is under
very light use and running that command now shows only 3 processes running.
I guess the heavier the usage, themore processes will be running.

hth

Regards,

nry