[squid-users] Dumb Cache Question

From: OTR Comm <otrcomm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:23:15 -0700

Hello,

This may seem like a dumb question, but...

I have squid running with authentication and with squidGuard as a
redirect program. All this is working okay. I have set some debugging
hooks in the squidGuard code to watch operation and how squid and
squidGuard interface.

My question is this, if squid is a caching proxy, how come it sends all
GETs to the redirector? That is, even a sight that is not blocked by
the squidGuard blacklist is passed to squidGuard for checking. For
example, every time I go to my own web site (http://www.wildapache.net),
I see all the GETs go through squidGuard.

When does squid check it's cache for the information on any given
request? Is it after the call to squidGuard?

I guess I do not understand how squid works. It seems to me that squid
would check it's cache first before it called the redirector, but it
doesn't seem to work this way. Could someone please explain to me the
functional model for squid and the justification for the model, or
direct me to a site that can explain this? A functional flow diagram
would be helpful if one exists on the web.

Thanks,
Murrah Boswell