Re: [squid-users] Dumb Cache Question

From: OTR Comm <otrcomm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 01:07:30 -0700

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Because
>
> a) Redirectors is really meant for redirecting the requests to local known
> mirrors.
>
> b) The rules in your redirector may differ for differen users.
>
> > When does squid check it's cache for the information on any given
> > request? Is it after the call to squidGuard?
>
> Yes, and it need to be for proper redirector function, even when using
> SquidGuard for blocking purposes..

Thank you, this makes perfect sense. So redirectors like squidGuard,
albeit very useful for my purposes, are really taking advantage (in a
sense) of the original purpose of the redirector design requirement in
squid?

So if I understand correctly, one use for a redirector could be for load
balancing on a network, is this correct? If so and if not, how else
might the redirector be used, aside from blocking purposes?

Murrah Boswell