[squid-users] Transparency

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:53:43 -0500

I'm running Squid 2.5 STABLE4 in Transparency.
The proxy server is my gateway.

My NAT table looks as follows:

[root@kalproxy logs]# iptables -t nat -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
REDIRECT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:http
redir ports 8000
REDIRECT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ftp
redir ports 21

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Web browsing and ftping both work, at the moment.
I cannot get other internet connections to pass through the box. i.e.:
irc connections, telnet connections, etc.

I imagine I need to be speaking with a linux person about this, but had a
couple of questions about squid and transparency mode.

First. I understand that squid proxies http traffic, only. Is this
correct?

So, all I should need are some redirects and forwards on the nat table and
the other internet stuff should work.
ie: I shouldn't need to go into my client programs (putty, mIRC, etc) and
tell them it's a proxy connection.

Is this correct?

Regards,

Tim Rainier