Re: [squid-users] calculating how much bandwidth is saved?

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:54:05 +0000

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 9:37 am, Payal Rathod wrote:

> Hi,
> A friend of mine who own a cybercafe and has squid setup as a caching
> proxy. She is charged per Mb of download. Is it possible to know how
> much bandwidth is saved due to squid? If yes, how do I go about it?

The squid log file tells you what size the response to each request was, and
whether it was served from the cache or from the real server.

Processing the logfile to pick out the number of bytes for HITs in a given
time period should give you a good indication of the savings due to squid;
comparing this to the number of bytes for MISSes in the same time will give
you a percentage.

Remember that there will be a small overhead you can never eliminate due to
DNS lookups, and HEAD requests etc to see if a file is newer than cached.

Regards,

Antony.

--
There are two possible outcomes.
If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.