[squid-users] squid, Why no DNS caching at all

From: * Tong* <sun_tong_001@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:53:23 -0500

Hi,

I'm using squid out of box from RH8. I just noticed that squid is not
caching any DNS at all. The following is from the output of cachemgr.cgi:

IP Cache Statistics:
IPcache Entries: 0
IPcache Requests: 630
IPcache Hits: 0
IPcache Negative Hits: 0
IPcache Misses: 0
Blocking calls to gethostbyname(): 0
Attempts to release locked entries: 0

FQDN Cache Statistics:
FQDNcache Entries: 0
FQDNcache Requests: 0
FQDNcache Hits: 0
FQDNcache Negative Hits: 0
FQDNcache Misses: 0
Blocking calls to gethostbyaddr(): 0
FQDN Cache Contents:

Notes:

- I've visited a couple of sites before I check squid's DNS caching.

- In my current dial-up environment, the DNS request path is:

   Browser => squid => local cache-only DNS server => my ISP DNS server => ...

Is anything wrong with the DNS caching in the default setting in RH8? How
can I eanble DNS caching?

[This is the 2nd time that this message being posted in squid mailing list,
with minor amends]

Thanks

Tong