Re: [squid-users] Samba 3-ntlm_auth, Squid-2.5Stable4 and W2K3 Authentication options

From: Dave Augustus <davea@dont-contact.us>
Date: 19 Nov 2003 18:48:02 -0600

Thanks for the responses,

BUT

I have tried all the methods mentioned in this thread and Squid simply
crashes with the message "Aborted." I actually RTM and ended up looking
for new answers when those provided didn't work.

Turning on additional logging helps. It shows a message like "Squid
doesn't understand the response from ntlm_auth." Sorry I have slept
since I attempted that configuration and don't remember tehe EXACT error
message.

Software List (All OS's running ina virtual network in VMWare)
- Windows 2003 Enterprise running AD and legacy domain controller
- Redhat 9 running stock kernel with the following compiled from source-
krb-1.3.1, samba 3, and squid-2.5stable4
- Windows 2000 workstation with IE6 SP1

The following configurations have all failed:

-using Squid's ntlm_auth- this won't even compile
-using Samba's ntlm_auth- this crashes Squid

Eventually I want to limit users ability to surf based on their lunch
hour so that means using NT Groups. Is there any other options for
transparent authentication on Squid?

Any other ideas are appreciated...

Thanks,
Dave Augustus