Re: [squid-users] Squid CPU Performance

From: <jeff.richards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:54:52 +1100

Henrik

>> b) Squid is the worst case application for RAID5 and will absolutely
kill
>> the performance of a RAID5. RAID1 is fine, and so is separate drives.

Do you mean both hardware AND software Raid-5? What's the issue?

Jeff

--
Jeff Richards
Technical Consultant

                      Henrik Nordstrom
                      <hno@squid-cache.        To:       Mark Pelkoski <mpelkoski@mpccorp.com>
                      org>                     cc:       squid-users@squid-cache.org
                                               Subject:  Re: [squid-users] Squid CPU Performance
                      22/11/2003 10:14

                                        |---------------------|
                                        | ( ) Urgent(4 hours) |
                                        | (*) Normal(24-48)   |
                                        | ( ) Low(72 hours)   |
                                        |---------------------|  Expires on

Some notes:
a) Squid is a single process application and can not make use of SMP. If
you want to make Squid benefit from a SMP system you will need to run
multiple instances of Squid and find a way to distribute your users on the
different Squid instances just as if you had multiple Squid boxes.
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Mark Pelkoski wrote:
> List,
> I FINALLY implemented a Squid server into my production environment
> today. It is squid-2.5.STABLE4-20031029 on a Quad Proc Xeon 500MHz with
> 1M Cache and 3x9Gig Raid-5 dedicated for cache and 2x9Gig Raid-1 for OS
> Redhat 9.0. I tested this exact server config with 74 users and
> performance was pretty good for 800 Reqs/Min. Now in Production I have
> 325+ users at 2700 Reqs/Min and performance stinks. It's like being on a
> dial-up connection. 3 of the procs are sitting below 1%. The other is
> used by Squid at 99.9%. It there any way to speed up performance on a
> multi-proc system? TIA.
>
> Mark Pelkoski

Important:  This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, commercially valuable or subject to legal or parliamentary privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by several Commonwealth Acts of Parliament.  If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.