RE: [squid-users] Squid CPU Performance

From: Mark Pelkoski <mpelkoski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:26:56 -0700

Thank you for your reply to my post. I am replying to your e-mail and
CC'ing the list so somebody else can make use of this thread...

I wish SOMEWHERE in the FAQ it would state that it is silly to run Squid
on a multi-proc platform...

What would the directives in my squid.conf look like in order to build
it out like you described with 4 drives for cache and one week's worth
of objects cached? I plan on re-building these two servers with two
smaller servers but 2 x Pentium 600E Proc's and 1 gig of Memory each.
Probably 5 x 9 gig drives. The reason for 2x Procs is that I believe
that there are many other processes that can take advantage like the 20
NTLM web_group helpers I am running and the Apache server I am using for
SARG and Webalizer reports. Squid runs decent with a second server added
into the cluster load-balanced using a Foundry Server Iron but still not
great. Also, I am running 4xIntel EE100Pro cards teamed together, not
cheapo RealTech cards. No swapping so far, but I understand that the
Squid memory footprint depends a lot on how the Cache Dirs are set up,
so I want to avoid tapping swap at all costs. I am trying to take your
advise to heart. Please advise. TIA.

-Mark

>1) You would have been MUCH better off with 4 individual systems. If
it's
> not too late, do that instead. Multi CPU is silly for squid.
Actually,
> you would be much better off with 2 servers.
>2) Get RID of the RAID. You want 1 drive for boot and system stuff.
The