Re: [squid-users] again slow :(

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:24:43 -0500

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 05:48 pm, Maciej Wosko wrote:
> I use squid to access WWW. But when I try to get to any page than I have to
> wait about 20 second or more till anything appear in my browser ( Opera
> 7.21 ). I have no idea why its like that. When I turn off squid and set
> browser not to use proxy then any page I request load immediately.

How is your overall system load? Using standard system monitoring tools, such
as sar, iostat, vmstat, and procinfo, see if your system is bottlenecking.

If you have more than a few users, I would recommend using one of the
asynchronous IO types (aufs/diskd) instead of ufs.

What kind of disks do you have (IDE/SCSI, rotational speed, throughput)? How
are they setup?

It could also be a problem with DNS latency - in Cache Manager, on the General
Runtime Information page, there is information on the average time it takes
to run a DNS query (over both the last 5 minutes and the last 60 minutes).
Other Cache Manager pages may have more info for you.

Adam