Re: [squid-users] serious problem with squid.

From: Peter van der Does <peter.vanderdoes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:23:04 +0100

The process isn't running as a squid process.
If you do ps -aux | grep proxy you should see more.

I would just increase the dns_setting, the errors you see indicate a
waiting time for dns queries and increasing the amount of dns-children
(dns-queries) would solve that.

Peter

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 13:36, Peter van der Does wrote:
> It looks like you don't have enough DNS processes running
> How much is your dns_children set?
>
> From the squid.conf:
> # TAG: dns_children
> # Note: This option is only available if Squid is rebuilt with the
> # --disable-internal-dns option
> #
> # The number of processes spawn to service DNS name lookups.
> # For heavily loaded caches on large servers, you should
> # probably increase this value to at least 10. The maximum
> # is 32. The default is 5.
> #
> # You must have at least one dnsserver process.
> #
> #Default:
> # dns_children 5
>
> If you update that setting, it should do better.

Is says that the option is only available if Squid is rebuilt with the

--disable-internal-dns option.
I use a precompiled package from debian and it seems that this option
is enable.
DNS lookups are done by the main Squid process by default reading
/etc/resolv.conf file.
My ps aux |grep squid says:

root 10564 0.0 0.0 3856 1156 ? S 08:52 0:00
/usr/sbin/squid -D -sYC
proxy 10567 11.9 10.1 211932 209900 ? S 08:52 35:31 [squid]

and I have no other process related to squid.