Re: [squid-users] Implication of positive_dns_ttl?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:43:38 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Cafe Admin wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm using the default "positive_dns_ttl 6 hours" in my squid.conf. Does this
> mean that Squid will overide all DNS ttl and cache every successfull DNS
> lookup for at least 6 hours?

If your Squid is not compiled with the default internal DNS client
(--disable-interna-dns not used) then the positive_dns_ttl parameter is
not used at all by Squid. Instead the TTL value given by DNS is used.

There is a patch to make Squid-2.5 use this parameter as a upper limit on
DNS TTL for positive caching.

> Is there a means to force positive DNS lookup to be cached longer than
> the ttl provided by the host domain? Thanks.

If you build Squid with --disable-internal-dns then DNS TTL information
will not be available to Squid and the positive_dns_ttl will be used.