Re: [squid-users] Re: Re: Hardware filewall + squid: blocking kazaa/kazaa lite

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:45:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Robert S wrote:

> I am getting the impression that I would have to have my linux box acting as
> the firewall. At the moment I operate my entire network behind a hardware
> filewall. Short of blocking all of the ports for my client PCs, it looks as
> if there is no way of blocking these sites.

You need to have the firewall block direct access to the applications from
the client PCs. As long as the clients can use the application when the
Squid proxy is not in your network they will still be able to use the
application when the proxy is connected.

The proxy can only control traffic which must go via the proxy. It can not
control traffic where the client can go directly not using the proxy.