Re: [squid-users] Best conf for dial-up

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:18:56 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Fajar Priyanto wrote:

> Henrik, looks like half_closed_clients off option gives a positive result,
> squid hasn't hang all day today. There was moment when I thought I hung, but
> it resumed all by itself in about 20 seconds later.
>
> Any idea why half_closed_clients affect dial-up connection?

It doesn't actually, but it considerably speeds up error recovery by
allowing Squid to terminate the request if it looks like the client
aborted the session.

In dial-up conditions there is many more error causes than in a fixed
connection so the likelyhood that there is connectivity problems to the
Internet is much higher, and without disabling half_closed_clients there
is a high likelyhood for a lot of stuck connections to build up.