Re: [squid-users] Specifying Squid Proxy from Address Bar

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:57:22 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Joe Lafontaine wrote:

> I'm sure this one has been asked and I just couldn't find the answer.
>
> I'm trying to access my squid proxy through IE but I am unable to specify
> the proxy through internet options and need to specify it one the address
> bar as shown
>
> http://192.168.0.2:3128/www.google.com

This won't work for many reasons.

It can be made to work for the initial HTTP request by the use of
accelerator mode and a redirector helper, but your browser will receive
absolute URLs from the internet almost immediately and forgets about using
the proxy..

Why can't you configure the proxy settings in your browser?