[squid-users] Thank you, and..

From: Manfred Milhofer <M.Milhofer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:23:04 -0000

First I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on this list who has been very helpful in assisting me recently. In just a couple of days I have gone from zero knowledge on proxies to being able to run my own Squid installation, and understand what it is doing. I now have the tools and knowledge to go forward and configure the relevant webservers to cooperate with proxy servers (especially Squid).

Before I disappear I would like to canvas one more opinion if I may. Using the techniques learned via this group I have discovered that the Oracle Portal webserver delivers minimal information via HTTP headers - in fact, for a document served by the site, the only piece of information delivered was 'Last-Modified'. 'Expires', 'Cache-Control' and 'ETag' were all blank.

Now, I have already started to learn the Apache techniques to configure these headers (Apache powers Oracle Portal), but my question is this: given the lack of freshness information here, would it not be expected for a proxy server to always retrieve from the origin server, in case its cached copy was out of date? Or is it precisely this lack of information that would lead to inconsistent results (which has been the client's experience), i.e. sometimes getting the up to date document, sometimes not.

Any opinions gratefully received, and once again thanks for all your help.

Manfred

---