Re: [squid-users] Should know this but..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:22:48 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Manfred Milhofer wrote:

> I have inherited a Suse Linux box, which I am trying to install the
> latest Squid on. But, having no idea about Suse Linux, I am stumped by
> not having a cc compiler. I downloaded gcc but that needs a cc compiler
> too.

You should download gcc pre-packaged for the version of SuSe you have.
This can be found from most FTP servers around the world carrying the SuSe
distributions.

If you have the installation media used when installing the server then
the gcc compiler and needed libraries can also be found there.

Quite likely there is a number of developer packages missing on this
server for installing programs from source. If it is a old installation
and you do not have the installation media then it is not unlikely it will
actually be easier to just install a new server than to try to add the
missing packages..