Re: [squid-users] Squid versus Microsoft ISA

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:31:10 +0100 (CET)

On 4 Dec 2003, Dave Augustus wrote:

> Why should I as a manager consider using Squid over Microsoft ISA in an
> (almost) entirely Microsoft shop if neither solution is deployed yet?

Because Squid is open source while ISA is not?

Because Squid does not make you further dependent on Microsoft than you
already are?

Because Squid probably has better support channels where you actually get
a solution if you have a problem and not simply asked to reboot the
server?

Because by using Squid you are free to build the proxy solution you want
to have rather than what Microsoft thinks you should have?

Because you can get Squid for free no matter the size of your organisation
while ISA requires a license with a cost dependent on the number of users
you have?

Because Squid is more fun?

Because you are interested in what Squid can provide?

You can always start by trying Squid and if it is not what you was looking
for look into ISA. The only cost in trying is time as any hardware invests
etc can be reused for ISA if you should change your mind.