Re: [squid-users] cache dir limits

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:18:10 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Victor Ivanov wrote:

> I'm running squid 2.5 stable 3. Actualy it should be stable4 (freebsd
> squid port 2.5_4), it uses lots of patches.
> Anyway, the behavior is the same with squid 2.4.
>
> The problem is my cache dir became too big and now it takes about
> five minutes to write the cache. In the meantime there's no service.

Most likely you have too little memory for the size of your cache_dir. See
the Squid FAQ 8.11 How much memory do I need in my Squid server?
<url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html#ss8.11>

> The other problem is that when squid starts it takes too long to
> rebuild the store, and while it rebuilds it there's heavy disk usage.

Another sign of the same problem.

> HDD: 2x Maxtor UDMA133 using RAID0 (that obviously was a mistake)

RAID0 is relatively OK, but there is no performance benefit from it.

> It seems this raid has awfully low speed.

Should not.

> 2003/12/05 13:51:52| Store rebuilding is 96.9% complete
> FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 1 blocks of 4104 bytes!

Yet another symptom of the problem described above.

> I know I misconfigured the whole thing. Any pointers
> what should I fix? Here are some lines from the config:
>
> cache_mem 384 MB

Why this extremely large cache_mem?