Re: [squid-users] Large scale high performance squid on FreeBSD - problems

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:16:57 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Alex Hayward wrote:

> > proxy# sysctl -a | grep maxfiles
> > kern.maxfiles: 4136
> > kern.maxfilesperproc: 3722
>
> maxfiles seems a little low if you are expecting lots of
> connections; you'll probably need to set both maxfiles and
> nmbclusters a bit higher in your kernel configuration. I don't think
> that increasing it with sysctl will increase maxsockets as well.
> Increasing net.inet.tcp.tcbhashsize in /boot/loader.conf might be a
> good idea, too.

You SHOULD be setting "maxusers" in your FreeBSD kernel configuration
to "0" (which is already the default, so you have to knowingly change
it), which means it will auto-tune many kernel parameters, including
maxfiles, based on the amount of installed memory. A FreeBSD 4.9
system with 1GB RAM and maxusers set to 0 should have:

# sysctl kern.maxfiles kern.maxfilesperproc kern.ipc.nmbclusters kern.ipc.nmbufs kern.ipc.maxsockets
kern.maxfiles: 12328
kern.maxfilesperproc: 11095
kern.ipc.nmbclusters: 6656
kern.ipc.nmbufs: 26624
kern.ipc.maxsockets: 12328

Which is (by default) quite a bit higher than what you have now...
Incidentally, you can also set kern.maxusers="0" in /boot/loader.conf
if you don't want to re-compile the kernel, but that is already the
default so you would have had to re-compile the kernel or change
loader.conf to get anything but "0" anyway.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet