Re: [squid-users] Zero Sized Reply [attn: long post]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:34:00 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Trevor wrote:

> We use squid 2.5-STABLE-3 (port 3128) to connect to the Internet via
> traditional browser proxy configuration. Everything works great except for
> specific sites (yahoo mail, aol mail, hotmail, and sometimes mapquest).
> These sites return a "Zero Sized Reply" error message. Disabling squid
> allows traffic through.

If you get a "Zero Sized Reply" error message from Squid then there is
either

* A networking error preventing reliable Internet connectivity

* A broken firewall or the like causing the same symptoms as 'a'.

* A broken parent proxy frequently crashing

* A broken web site.

There is nothing Squid can do to cause this on it's own.

The error indicates that as far as Squid can tell the contacted server
accepted the request but then closed the connection before sending any
reply back to Squid.