RE: [squid-users] Version Info

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:49:19 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Travis Bullock wrote:

> OK. Well there must be a way around this. I hate to keep bugging you about
> it. You have been great with your advice thus far, but do you know of any
> other Squid forums I could post the issue on in the mean time?

There is always ways to solve this kind of things.

If you insist on using the RedHat init script then you might be able to
fix this up this by

a) Setting the PATH to make sure /usr/local/squid is first in the PATH. Or
you can modify the script to set SQUID to the full path to the Squid
binary and clean up the other uses of the $SQUID variable where it is nor
used for referring to the binary (i.e. subsys lock file etc) to be
hardcoded to just squid instead of using the $SQUID variable.

b) Modifying the path of the pid file and the path to squid.conf. As an
alternative to modifying the path of the pid file in the init script you
can specify /var/run/squid.pid as pid_filename in your squid.conf.

Or as another alternative to all of this you can build your custom Squid
as a RPM package just like the package given to you by RedHat and then use
rpm to upgrade your Squid. The easies way to do this is by grabbing the
latest Source RPM of Squid for RedHat you can find and then modify the
spec file to use the new version (you may also need to delete a few
patches if there is any of the official patches included)