Re: [squid-users] Squid, snmp and MRTG

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:45:45 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 Jim_Brouse/PYT@PASCUAYAQUITRIBE.ORG wrote:

> I am trying to configure Squid for snmp although when I execute mrtg
> pointing to my mrtg-squid.cfg I get a error "no response recieved".
>
> I am using the walkthrough contained on
> http://www.psychofx.com/chris/unix/mrtg/
>

> I have edited squid.conf and configured it for SNMP on port 3401 and have
> uncommented the following sections and squid stops and starts without
> errors.
>
> Since I have the acl snmppublic do I need to add my ip to the acl so that I
> can query squid?
>
> snmp_port 3401
> acl snmppublic snmp_community public
> snmp_access allow snmppublic localhost
> snmp_incoming_address 0.0.0.0
> snmp_outgoing_address 255.255.255.255

Since you are using localhost, the above 'snmp_access' line should be fine.

You may want to add "49,9" to debug_options in squid.conf. Then watch
cache.log. That should show you if Squid is actually receiving the
SNMP queries, and whether or not they are allowed. You might also
want to use tcpdump/ethereal to look for SNMP packets.

Duane W.