[squid-users] redirecting transparently to few different ports based on URL or domain name

From: Rami Jaamour <rjaamour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:46:43 -0800

I am running Squid on port 80, proxing to Apache httpd on 81, following
the FAQs. I could use a redirector successfully to redirect from one
URL to another on the same host and port, however, I'd like Squid and/or
it's redirector to be able to route requests based on URL (ideally) or
at least based on the sub domain name to a specific port on the same
local machine it is running on. So for example

http://soaptest.parasoft.com:80/ would go to the apache on the same
machine unchanged: http://soaptest.parasoft.com:81/
http://soaptest.parasoft.com/ws1 would get routed to a different HTTP
server (web service), but on a another port like 8000 on the same
machine, ie http://soaptest.parasoft.com:8000/ws1
http://soaptest.parasoft.com/ws2 would go
to http://soaptest.parasoft.com:8001/ws2
etc.

Or if that is not possible, perhaps with using virtual hosts llike:
http://ws1.soaptest.parasoft.com --> http://soaptest.parasoft.com:8000
http://ws2.soaptest.parasoft.com --> http://soaptest.parasoft.com:8001
...etc.

Keep in mind that this routing needs to be transparent; the web services
listening on ports 8000 and 8001 cannot take an HTML redirect page,
which apache can generate.

When I specify different ports in the destination URL in my redirector
program to do this, it doesn't work as expected. It only seems to
redirect to httpd port 81, ignoring any ports I put in the destination
URL. Can Squid do what I need?

I investigated iptabls and other little tools like rinetd, but they all
do not seem to do what I need because they seem to operate on the IP
addresses level, they don't take domain names, right?

Thank you for your time.

Rami Jaamour
SOAPtest <http://www.parasoft.com/jsp/products/home.jsp?product=SOAP>
Development