RE: [squid-users] Squid dstdomain ACL

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:37:15 -0700 (MST)

> Thanks Duane. Unfortunately, my domains list is HUGE (~600,000 domains) and
> the cache already runs at 50-95% CPU during the day, most of which I assume
> is due to the huge domains list. If I were to lose the dstdomain ACL and
> only use url_regex, would performance stay where it is? Sadly, I can't use
> the second option you mention because google's cache is useful for other
> non-offensive websites.

Switching from dstdomain to url_regex will likely be much less
efficient. dstdomain searching is probably O(log N), while url_regex
searching is O(N).

There are some redirectors (like Squirm, Jersed, and squidGuard) that claim
to be very fast and efficient. You might be able to do regex searching with
them faster than with Squid's internal implementation. A nice thing about
redirectors, too, is that you can test them separately before you configure
Squid to use them.

Duane W.