Re: [squid-users] lots of open conns with parent

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:36:57 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Mihai Postelnicu wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running Squid 2.5STABLE4.
> I am using a non-Squid proxy as a parent :
>
> cache_peer [ip] parent 808 0 no-query max-conn=3000
> login=user:pass
>
> Everything working ok, except after max-conn is
> reached, which happens quite fast because it does not
> seem to close all the connections opened with the
> parent.

This does not look normal to me.

3000 connections to a parent is a huge amount and should in principle only
be seen if your proxy is processing more than 3000 concurrent requests
which I doubt is the case.

But there is one Squid-2.5 patch published yesterday which may help you if
you have clients doing a lot of POST requests. See
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/bugs/

Another thing you can try is to disable the server-side persistent
connections. If you have a parent proxy with fast connectivity between
your proxy and the parent the benefit of server-side persistent
connections is quite small.

  server_persistent_connections off