Re: [squid-users] FAQ

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:37:41 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Dodjie Nava wrote:

> i got some spare time after work. i would like to help maintain the
> faq. If you think i could help then i'm willing. just tell me how.

There is two tasks where you can help when you have time:

a) Whenever there is a question which is seen "often" on the squid-users
mailing list make sure there is a entry in the FAQ explaining the question
and a answer that makes sense. Quite often the answer is in the FAQ
already but when it is not this should be corrected. To fulfill this
collect the valuable responses seen on the mailing list and try make a
suitable FAQ entry text out of it, or write your own text with the
messages and other information as base.

b) Quite many of the existing FAQ entries are a bit dated and needs some
cleanup. Whenever such FAQ entry is found try to find what the correct
information should be using the same sources as above. But this is
secondary to task 'a' above and only needs to be done if the specific
issue is discussed on the mailing list, which sort of makes it the same
task as 'a' but with the FAQ as one of the sources of information.

If there is doubt regarding anything ask for clarification on the mailing
list or from the squid-faq alias. Asking on the mailing list is a very
good peer review as there is many users who are keen on commenting and
giving good advice given the opportunity. Use of the mailing list
preferred unless the question is related to the FAQ as such and not the
content of it.

Whenever you find something to add or change in the FAQ send your changes
to squid-faq@squid-cache.org. Submitted changes should be accepted into
the FAQ within a day or two or returned to you for corrections. If you
have not heard anything within in a week send it again asking why there
was no response (maybe your message got lost or similar problems).

The preferred format for submissions/changes to the FAQ is patches or
additions to the Linuxdoc SGML text of the FAQ, but plain text is also
fine if you are not yet familiar with Linuxdoc SGML syntax.

The developers (myself included) are just to busy on running around on
other tasks and answering questions to stop and think "this should be in
the FAQ". We need someone who looks at things from a different angle and
tries to collect the mailing list thoughts into something which can
hopefully be understood by others a week later when the discussion is
no longer fresh in everyones mind ;-)

Thanks
Henrik