RE: [squid-users] Bigger Squid setup recommendations

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:14:47 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 jburzenski@americanhm.com wrote:

> Consider RAID 0 for the cache partition for maximum performance. Apparently
> this is where you will get the most performance bang for your buck (the
> disks).

Actually single-drives is preferred over RAID-0. Easier to manage in case
of drive failure. Or if you have very many drives and need hands-off fault
tolerance such as in a remote office then use RAID-1.

RAID-1 is in any case recommended for the OS partitions for fault
tolerance reasons. Loss of the OS is kindof tricky to recover fast from,
but loss of a cache drive is simply loss of the volatile data on that
drive.

It should also be noted that Squid currently (and probably not for a
forseeable future) have any real benefits of more than one CPU.

> > /boot 100MB reiser

I would use ext2 for /boot. Mostly because there is many more boot loaders
who understands ext2 in case of emergency boot needs. Also journaling does
not really help /boot, only complicates matters.

> I was lazy and used the precompiled bins on a redhat 9 box that was already
> configured for development. The one feature that did not precompile was the
> NTLM auth features. Check the ./configure --help and really make sure you
> have everything you want to use.

The other important features which is not in the RH9 provided binary is

 * Support for more than 1024 concurrent filedescriptors.
 * Many bugfixes <http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/bugs/>