Re: [squid-users] Squid and Mac Address

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:01:54 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Tarek Elemam wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I have recently installed Squid on a Linux 8.0 red hat.
> I enabled the arp and compiled it. --enable-arp-acl to use MAC Address.
> Did not get any errors while compiling.
>
> However, access is not allowed to the MAC Address.
>
> The Linux Server has two network cards. One is connected to a real IP
> address on the Internet and the second is connected to the local network.
> The real IP is on 255.255.255.248 and the local network is on 255.255.255.0
> Is there a confusion with the cards and it can not find its MAC.
> What could I be doing wrong?

ARP ACLs do not depend on Squid's IP address or Squid's MAC address.

You can use the technique for debugging ACLs that is described in the
FAQ: http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-10.html#acl-debug

Also note that ARP ACLs do not work if there is a router between
Squid and your clients. The clients must be on the same subnet as Squid.

Duane W.