Re: [squid-users] Rejecting URLs with unresolvable DNS hosts?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:58:08 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Paas, Sven wrote:

> This works just fine, with the exception that
> whenever my cache cannot resolve the hostnames
> in URLs to IP addresses in DNS, it just decides to
> use "ANY_PARENT" (when no default cache_peer is
> defined) oder "DEFAULT_PARENT" (when a default
> cache_peer is defined).

The term "ANY_PARENT" is "Any of your defined cache_peer where the request
is allowed to be forwarded by cache_peer_access".

What happens here is most likely that Squid first contacts the default
parent, and then when seeing the failure Squid tries a little harder just
in case it works better, but not realising the two are the same path in
this case.

> My question: how can I force my cache to just reject
> a request immediately itself when the hostname in the URL
> is not resolvable in DNS by the cache? I do not
> want to forward unknown URLs to foreign caches.

The following should work:

  acl everywhere dst 0.0.0.0/0
  http_access deny !everywhere

This denies requests where Squid could not find a destination IP address.