Re: [squid-users] Squid with large memory

From: <BrianC8876@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 09:55:29 EST

In a message dated 12/25/03 8:57:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hno@squid-cache.org writes:

> > What sort of algorithm is used to determine which pages get stored in
> > memory? I would assume that it stores the most requested pages in memory.
>
> There is no distinction what gets stored in memory. The cahce_mem cache
> works by not removing things from memory after they have been forwarded.
>
> To control what stays in memory see the following directives
>
> memory_replacement_policy
> maximum_object_size_in_memory
> cache_mem

Thats interesting. Wouldnt it be beneficial to have some configuration
function that you could run that would populate memory (or a ram disk) with the
"most requested" objects over a selected period? It seems that any given network
would have a pattern over a several day period that would likely be more
representative than "most recently accessed" over a 60 minute period.

BC