[squid-users] TCP parent, peer_connect_timeout, failover, load balancing depending on load

From: Gabriel Wicke <groups@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:31:22 +0100

Hi,

i'm trying to figure out a good configuration for reverse proxying / load
balancing an Apache cluster. The main directives:

* for each apache: cache_peer this.is.the.ip parent 80 0 no-query
* set peer_connect_timeout to something like 2 seconds

Now the questions:

* If the TCP connection times out after 2 seconds, will Squid move on to
the next parent without returning an error to the user? (I know about the
mark-as-dead process, but afaik this kicks in after a minute or so)

* Is there a way to take the load of individual parents (Apaches) into
account? I was thinking about something that would delay ICP queries
depending on the current load, effectively lowering the machine's priority
in the selection process.
My understanding of the selection process in the no-query configuration is
that it just offsets the first request each time, effectively rotating
without taking any load indicators into account.

Thanks!

Gabriel Wicke