[squid-users] Messenger & NTLM authentication

From: Antonio Manfreda <antonio.manfreda1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 14:50:26 +0100

Hello,

I have configured Squid 2.5STABLE4 to use NTLM authentication with Active
Directory, using external helper wb_group.

I am experiencing a strange problem with Microsoft Messenger.

Even if I set up the proxy with username, password and domain in Messenger
connection settings, when I try to connect to Messenger network I receive
a messagge saying that proxy authentication didn't work.

In access.log, I have just one line:

1073482354.525 10 10.132.104.40 TCP_DENIED/407 1744 POST http://gateway.messenger.hotmail.com/gateway/gateway.dll?
- NONE/- text/html

that means that proxy has prompted messenger for user authentication. In
turn, Messenger does not seem to send any reply to Squid request.

The question is: does Microsoft Messenger support NTLM authentication through
a proxy, or is there some other issue?