Re: [squid-users] Need advise on installation.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 02:04:36 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Darren wrote:

> How would it improve performance? If I put /var/spool/squid on one drive
> and /var/spool/squid2 on the other wouldn't it just fill up the first,
> then fill up the second?

It fills both, but if one if very much larget than the other then usage
will be biased towards the larger one unless the
store_dir_select_algorithm is changed to round-robin.

> Would there really but a noticable difference?

Depends on what speeds you require.

Squids use of the cache drives requires a lot of seeks. Two drives can
seek twice as much as a single drive.

Note: to make use of the seek times of more than one drive you need to use
one of the async cache_dir types (aufs or diskd).