Re: [squid-users] LDAP Authentication storage issue

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 18:01:53 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Craig Sharp wrote:

> I am using LDAP to authenticate to Novell E-Dir with Squid for Internet
> access. It is working perfectly, however our management and users do
> not like the fact that when the browser is closed down and reopened,
> they have to authenticate again. They are whining because they do not
> want to have to type in their name when they open the browser several
> times a day.

Then use a browser which can be configured to remember the login between
sessions. If using MSIE then just click that "Save password in password
list" checkbox when logging in.

> I need a way to store the authentication so that they will remain
> authenticated and not be challenged by the Squid server when they open a
> new browser for a period of 4 hours. Yes I know that this is defeating
> the purpose of security and authentication, but this is my direction.

This is MUCH better addressed at the client.

Technically the browser authenticates to the proxy on each and every
request when using proxy authentication. The login/logout concept is
within the browser only.