Re: [squid-users] Page not displaying properly via Squid. User prompted to download.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:20:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Mark A. Lewis wrote:

> I have a problem with one site in particular ( www.xtremepccentral.com )
> that wont display via Squid 2.5 Stable3 or 3.0 PRE3 on both Linux and
> FreeBSD. Whenever a user reqests it, they are prompted to download a
> file. Direct request works fine, but something goes wrong via squid.
> When I look at it with ethereal, the only thing that stands out is that
> it shows the "Content-Encoding gzip" which I suspect is the problem.

Sounds like a site using a misconfigured version of mod_gzip possibly in
combination with you using a broken browser which does not recognise gzip
encoding unless the reply is a HTTP/1.1 reply. The current state of
Content-Encoding support in both servers and clients is quite messy and
few if any does it correctly.

You can try using the no_cache directive to deny caching of this site, but
it may not help.

You should also try to contact the site operators and explain to them that
there is problems to access the site via proxies due to their way of using
gzip encoding.