Re: [squid-users] Restricting parts of a domain !

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:02:10 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Davinder Sachdeva wrote:

> On one of my installations, I have been facing a question as to does
> Squid have the capability to restrict access to a part of a portal e.g. I
> wish to ban access to all
> the users to mail.yahoo.com whereas they may access games.yahoo.com.

The two are completely different sites so you can easily use dstdomain ACL
to tell them apart.

If you need to set different access levels for different paths on the same
server then url_regex or urlpath_regex can be used.

> Is such a policy possible. Can someone please help me with this.

The access controls in Squid is very versatile and almost anything can be
done, much more than most other proxies. And the access control
capabilities is improving even further with every new release. Please take
some time to read the Squid FAQ Chapter 10 Access Controls if you have not
already as this tries to exaplain a lot about the fundamentals of access
controls in Squid. When what is dicussed there seems familiar there is a
lot more to read in the squid.conf.default notes if you want to learn
more.